For his Sun piece, Jeremy Clarkson claims to have apologized to Harry and Meghan.

The Duchess of Sussex was described as someone Jeremy Clarkson “hated” in a column he wrote for The Sun newspaper. Clarkson has since apologized to Harry and Meghan.

He said in a statement on Monday that he sent the couple an email on Christmas Day to apologize for his “disgraceful” behavior and express his “deep regret.”

He described how Meghan was attacked with feces in the column.

The piece, according to a representative for Harry and Meghan, was not an unique occurrence for Clarkson.

Clarkson had released a statement before Christmas saying he “was horrified to have caused so much hurt”.

The Sun newspaper has also apologised for the December article and removed it from its website.

In the column, Clarkson wrote that he lay in bed “dreaming of the day when she [Meghan] is made to parade naked through the streets of every town in Britain while the crowds chant ‘Shame!’ and throw lumps of excrement at her”.

He also claimed “everyone who’s my age thinks the same way”, and that her appeal to young people who “think she was a prisoner of Buckingham Palace” made him “despair”.

A record 25,000 complaints have been made to press regulator Ipso since the piece was published.

In his lengthy Instagram post on Monday, the presenter of Amazon Prime’s The Grand Tour and Clarkson’s Farm and ITV’s Who Wants to be a Millionaire?, said he usually reads what he’s written before filing his copy, but he was home alone that day and in a hurry.

“So when I’d finished, I just pressed send. And then, when the column appeared the next day, the land mine exploded.”

He said he picked up a copy of The Sun and quickly realised he had “completely messed up”.

“You are sweaty and cold at the same time. And your head pounds. And you feel sick. I couldn’t believe what I was reading. Had I really said that? It was horrible.”

He said he had been thinking of a scene in Games of Thrones when he wrote about imagining the duchess being abused in the street, but had forgotten to mention it.

“So it looked like I was actually calling for revolting violence to rain down on Meghan’s head.”

A representative for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex confirmed in a statement that Clarkson only wrote to Prince Harry in his correspondence.

The spokesperson stated, “While Mr. Clarkson has just given a new public apology, what has to be addressed is his long-standing practice of authoring articles that disseminate hate language, risky conspiracy theories, and misogyny.”

It is obvious that this is not a single occurrence communicated in haste but rather a series of articles shared in hatred, they continued, “unless each of his other writings were likewise written ‘in a rush’, as he implies.

Prince Harry criticized Clarkson and the Royal Family for being silent at the time in a recent interview with ITV.

In his statement, Clarkson added that he had “tried to explain” himself. “But still, there were calls for me to be sacked and charged with a hate crime. More than 60 MPs demanded action to be taken. ITV, who make Who Wants to be a Millionaire, and Amazon, who make the Farm Show and the Grand Tour, were incandescent.”

It was then that he “wrote to everyone who works with me saying how sorry I was” as well as emailing the duke and duchess.

“On Christmas morning, I emailed Harry and Meghan in California to apologise to them too. I said I was baffled by what they had been saying on TV but that the language I’d used in my column was disgraceful and that I was profoundly sorry.”

He also acknowledged that his own daughter Emily had been among his critics.

Variety is reporting that Amazon Prime “is likely to be parting ways” with Clarkson after 2024, when his shows that are already in the pipeline are due to end. Amazon declined to comment.

Last month, ITV’s media and entertainment boss Kevin Lygo described Clarkson’s column as “awful” but said there were no plans “at the moment” to replace him as host of game show Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?

ITV is believed to have one more series due to be filmed with Clarkson but no further current commissioning commitments beyond that.